Domain name extensions?

fable666

Domain name extensions?

Postby fable666 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi,

Why do people go for .com, .net and .org? what is wrong with, lets sat .xyz I found that when I was looking for a domain name for my website I found a name which fitted my website perfect but the .com, .net and .org had been taken. So I had to go with a different domain name so I could have .com. Would having a .xyz (for example) make any difference?

Many thanks
Looking for a bike rack? Then come on over to the #1 Site For Bike Rack Reviews and have a look to see what you could have missed reading other review sites. What are you waiting for? what have you got to lose? Come take a look....
POSTROW VIEW TOPIC BODY
jimburrow

Re: Domain name extensions?

Postby jimburrow » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:20 pm

The .com, .org, .net are extensions that people are familiar with. So for example If I was searching for Sears, I would automatically type Sears.com - Has the say old habbits are hard to change. But the other extension are ok if you MUST have that domain name.

But there are other way you can get the same domain with a little modification. For Example I want the domain "big Blue Cat" because that is the name of my company. If BigBlueCat.com is not avaiable, then look for the .org or .net. If not available, then you can try a variation of say Big_Blue_Cat.com. To me this second variation is easier to read. And it still reflects your company.

In internet marketing like we are doing, I personally don't think it makes much difference. But is is best if you can to go for the .com, .org and .net extensions.

If you are using PPC for your traffic source, I don't think it is any big deal if you use other extensions from the big three.
Jim Burrow a senior student of Marcus.
http://howtobuildablog.net
sarahemi

Postby sarahemi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:47 am

It is due to the category for which the site belongs. If it is a corporation, an organization, or institution, then .org is suitable and recommended. if it is a simple public site or business site then the .com extension is much suitable because of the Search Engines also find queries relevant to the site's categories.
hinaeni

Postby hinaeni » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 am

Domain name extensions are essential if you making a corporate website worldwide then .com extension is good but if you have local business only then buy domain name with extension according to your country, for instance, you have your business in the UK just then buy www.domain.co.uk .in the same way you have started an NGO so your domain name extension should be .org. Domain name extensions matter a lot.
daveyoo

Postby daveyoo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 am

The ".com" is one of the oldest domain name extensions available to the public.

Even though now there are a few hundred extensions available for the domain names, I still like the .com for a few reasons.

- When the .com domain name is available, it's more likely that you haven't come up with a name that is already a registered trademark
- All the big companies still look for registering the .com domains
- Since it's one of the oldest extension, a .com is easier to remember by your visitors (most of the people will first try yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.net or yourdomain.xyz).
Ever wanted to start a blog? Here's a guide on how to start a blog from scratch
techxonic

Postby techxonic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 am

It is easier for people to search you when you have .com domain. Like I have business with the brand name of Techxonic and people can easily search me at techxonic.com
I hope it helps.

Return to “Domain Names And Site Buying”